Capture some of Queensland's biggest coastal attractions- from the World Heritage-listed Great Barrier Reef to the pristine islands and rainforest national parks. Four wheel drive Fraser Island, the world's largest sand island and see manta rays and turtles at Mon Repos, near Bundaberg. Stay in Rockhampton and visit Great Keppel Island and the Capricorn Caves. Snorkel or dive reefs and shipwrecks near Mackay and go sailing in the postcard-perfect Whitsundays. Walk the white sand of Magnetic Island, near Townsville and further north visit Hinchinbrook, Australia's largest island national park. The vivid colours, smells and sounds of this splendid coastline will stay with you long after your journey ends in Cairns, at the gateway to Queensland's tropical north.
At a glance:
- Brisbane - Fraser Island (3.5 hours, 50 min ferry)
- Fraser Island – Bundaberg (50 min ferry, 1.5 hours)
- Bundaberg - Rockhampton (3 hours)
- Rockhampton - Mackay (3.5 hours)
- Mackay - Townsville (4.5 hours)
- Townsville – Cairns (4 hours)