New South Wales offers visitors exceptional food and wine experiences, from the Hunter Valley, to Sydney Harbour, to more than 2,000 kilometres (1,243 miles) of coastline bursting with seafood.
Australia’s oldest wine-growing region, the Hunter Valley, is also renowned for its fine dining, cooking schools, galleries, health spa retreats and golf courses. A diverse calendar of food and wine events including performances by world famous names in jazz, opera and blues music also take place throughout the year.
- Hunter Valley stand out drops are Shiraz, Semillon and Chardonnay
- The Hunter Valley’s dry white Semillon is said to be the best in the world
- Located a two-hour drive from Sydney. Easy self-drive, alternatively one day and multi-day tours available from Sydney
- 150 wineries, vineyards and cellar doors and 65 restaurants
- Overnight at Audrey Wilkinson’s Guesthouse with a gourmet dinner prepared by a private chef
With some of the best regional restaurants in NSW, award-winning cool climate wines and charming boutique accommodation, Orange is a must for gourmands.
- Located four-hours’ drive west of Sydney
- Tour family-run vineyards and top-notch providores
- Dine at highly-regarded restaurants such as Lolli Redini, Union Bank and Bistro Ceello
- Sample local produce at Orange Farmers Market (second Saturday of every month)
- Time visit with an event such as F.O.O.D. in April and Orange Wine Week in October
Sydney Fish Markets
Sydney Fish Markets are the largest of their kind in the Southern Hemisphere, providing the perfect opportunity to sample fresh Australian seafood. One of Sydney’s most popular attractions, attracting locals, food fanatics and tourists alike.
- Located just behind Sydney’s iconic Darling Harbour
- Open daily from 7am-4pm (except Christmas Day)
- Behind the scenes tour held every weekday except Tuesday 6:40am-8:30am, includes a visit to the live auction floor and viewing of over 100 species of seafood
- Sydney Seafood School offers a range of cooking classes delivered by some of Australia’s finest chefs
- Dine at on-site restaurants or pick up supplies from one of the retailers
Fly and Dine: Sydney Seaplanes
For a dining experience where the journey to the restaurant is as spectacular as the food, try Sydney Seaplanes fly and dine packages.
- Depart Rose Bay in Sydney’s east to one of Sydney Seaplanes partner restaurants
- Amazing waterfront restaurants, offering world class cuisine, service and location
- Alternatively fly to a secluded beach accessible only by boat or seaplane for a romantic picnic. Popular for proposals!
- Return scenic flight takes in Sydney’s spectacular harbour with views of the Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House
More Food and Wine Experiences
- With panoramic views of the Sydney Opera House and arguably the best food in Australia, there aren’t many awards that Sydney restaurant Quay hasn’t won!
- Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley Resort and Spa in the Blue Mountains, combines luxury accommodation with the very best seasonal, regional and organic food complemented with local wines
- Visitors to pristine Lord Howe Island, just a two-hour flight from Sydney, are in for a seafood treat. Here they can catch garfish off the jetty, join a game fishing trip, hand feed mullet at Ned’s beach or dine on grilled kingfish caught earlier that day
- Another stupendous Sydney site for a restaurant, Icebergs offers unrivalled views of Bondi Beach, superb service, Italian-ish food and great people spotting
- In the Hunter Valley the Margan name is synonymous with excellence with their multi-award winning vineyard, cellar door and restaurant
Food & Wine Festival and Events Calendar
NSW Food & Wine Festival
A month-long, state-wide celebration, featuring everything from wine dinners and special wine-tastings to master classes and workshops.
Hunter Valley Wine and Food Month
Throughout June the Hunter Valley’s winemakers together with its produce growers and chefs come together for four weeks of wine-themed activities.
Orange Wine Week – Orange, New South Wales
This week-long festival highlights the cool-climate reds and whites of the Orange region. Events include the Orange Wine Show, winery tours, workshops and tastings.