Victoria offers magnificent scenery, fascinating wildlife and world renowned wine regions, all within easy reach of Melbourne.
Explore the magnificent coastline along the Great Ocean Road, relax in the natural springs of Daylesford, and discover food and wine experiences of unparalleled quality in the heart of Victoria.
At a glance:
- Drive Melbourne to Twelve Apostles Lodge Walk (3 hours)
Drive Melbourne to Daylesford (90 min)
- Drive Daylesford to Fowles Wine (1 hour, 40 min)
- Drive Fowles Wine to Tahbilk (20 min)
Twelve Apostles Lodge Walk, Great Ocean Road
Enjoy the variety of landscapes from cool-climate rainforest and remote beaches to coastal cliff tops, and finally view it all from the air on a Twelve Apostles scenic helicopter flight (included) on this four day, 3 night walk along Victoria’s Great Ocean Road.
There are few better places to see Australian wildlife. The trail on the Twelve Apostles Lodge Walk is alive with native flora and fauna. Each night accommodation is provided in eco-friendly, luxury villas where weary walkers enjoy daily foot spas then meals prepared by the internationally trained chef.
Distance: 55km / 34mi
- Explore the Great Otway National Park and Port Campbell National Park.
- Trek through forests of grasstrees and enjoy the ocean breeze.
- Hear stories of shipwrecks and settlement, and visit remote untouched beaches.
- Discover native birds, fur seals, wallabies, koalas, and many plant species unique to the region.
Lake House boasts one of Australia's most highly awarded restaurants and a wine cellar of some 10,000 bottles. The ever-innovative and continuously refreshed menu offers modern Australian cuisine paying homage to the region's produce. A strong ‘sense of place’ philosophy and constant creativity and innovation underpins the Lake House experience making this one of Australia’s highlight culinary destinations.
About the area:
Daylesford, located at the foothills of the Great Dividing Range, is a region famed for its high concentration of naturally occurring mineral springs and exquisite local produce. In the township there is much to explore and enjoy including day spas, restaurants, galleries, wineries, boutique shops, historic buildings and markets. Within a few minutes' walk south of the town centre you will find Lake Daylesford, perfect for a picnic or walk along its many walking tracks.
- Get ‘hands-on’ with a cooking class at the Lake House Cooking School.
- Explore everything Daylesford has to offer including cellar doors, farm gate tours, markets, galleries, nature walks, golf and horse riding.
- Escape for an afternoon of bliss with a signature treatment at the Salus Day Spa.
Fowles Wine, Strathbogie Ranges
Fowles Wine is an award-winning producer of premium cool climate wines. The winery facility, located a short drive from the cellar door, is available to tour by appointment and offers spectacular views over the Strathbogie Ranges.
About the area:
Only 100 km north of Melbourne lies the Strathbogie Ranges. This highly diverse region incorporating farming land and forests, rocky outcrops, glades and waterfalls, produces distinctive wines from over 25 vineyards.
- Discover 'The Gamekeepers Platter', four tastes of game matched with Fowles Are you Game? wines.
- Take part in an informative wine tasting and discover the standout varietals of the region.
- Indulge in modern European dishes in the relaxed atmosphere of their Cellar Door Café.
Tahbilk Winery, Nagambie Lakes
Established in 1860, Tahbilk is one of Australia's most beautiful and historic family owned wineries. The property comprises some 1,214 hectares of rich river flats with 8 kilometres of permanent backwaters and creeks.
Tahbilk also boasts the world’s largest, and some of the oldest, plantings of Marsanne as well as some of the world’s oldest Shiraz vines.
About the area:
Venture 30 minutes north of Fowles Wine to the unique Nagambie Lakes region, one of Australia’s premium viticultural regions. A picturesque area of tall, shady red river gums and views of the Goulburn River and surrounding wetlands.
- Wander amongst gardens, original buildings and underground cellars dating back to the 1860s.
- Enjoy a tasting of Tahbilk’s famous Marsanne at the cellar door overlooking the Goulburn River.
- Learn more with a guided tour of the winery encompassing both the old and the new technologies utilised.
Suggested Trip Extensions
Within easy reach of Melbourne two of Australia’s premier wine regions welcome visitors with exceptional food and wine and warm hospitality.
Montalto Vineyard & Olive Grove, Mornington Peninsula
Visit Montalto and you get much more than wine - the estate is also renowned for its welcoming ambience, relaxed Australian architecture, intimate cellar door, and the beauty of its grounds that include an olive grove, acclaimed restaurant and café, sculpture walk and wetlands.
De Bortoli Yarra Valley Estate, Yarra Valley
De Bortoli Yarra Valley Estate is an award-winning maker of premium cool climate wines. This family owned and managed winery produces wines from 240 hectares of vines, some of which are more than 40 years old.
Sample the latest vintage at the cellar door that overlooks the picturesque vineyards. The friendly cellar door staff can assist with private tastings and advise on pairing the right cheese from their cheese shop with your choice of wine.
Pizzini Wines is a family-owned winery in the King Valley wine region of North East Victoria. Pizzini specialises in the production of Italian wine varieties such as Pinot Grigio, Arneis, Prosecco, Sangiovese and Nebbiolo.
The A tavola! Cooking School, run by Katrina Pizzini, offers a range of cooking classes throughout the year and the Pizzini family regularly host exciting food and wine events at the cellar door.