Three hours south of Perth you can discover a land where rolling vineyards sit against a magnificent backdrop of ocean and forest.
Geographically isolated and spectacular, Margaret River is a wine region by the sea - specialising in fine wine, memorable regional cuisine and spectacular scenery. Discover white sand beaches, karri forests and limestone caves all within easy reach of luxury accommodation and a multitude of fine dining choices.
At a glance:
- Drive Perth – Margaret River (3 hours)
Leeuwin Estate is a family winery that celebrates fine wine, food and its long association with the arts.
Leeuwin has earned an international reputation for producing outstanding wines, and is also home to a private art gallery and an award-winning restaurant.
About the area:
Margaret River experiences the unique combination of a Mediterranean climate, maritime influence and ancient gravel-loam soils making it ideal for growing Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay. Over 40 wineries are producing world renowned wines on this stunning coast.
- Visit the cellar door for an informal food and wine matching experience.
- In the estate’s art gallery view more than 100 paintings from Australia's leading contemporary artists that have been commissioned to feature on the Art Series labels.
- Sample the district’s best produce matched with estate wine at Leeuwin Restaurant.
Vasse Felix was established in 1967 and is Margaret River’s founding wine Estate. It is regarded as one of Australia’s draw-card winery destination experiences and includes a restaurant, cellar door and art gallery.
Vasse Felix produced Margaret River’s first Cabernet Sauvignon in 1972 and the wines maintain a reputation as regional and national benchmarks.
- Step into the world of food and wine matching with a Vasse Felix epicurean experience.
- Encounter the flora and fauna of the region on a walking tour along the nearby Cape to Cape track followed by wine tasting and lunch.
- Take a behind the scenes peek at winemaking at Margaret River’s founding wine estate on the Vasse Felix Original experience.
Voyager Estate is a gleaming vision of manicured hedges, carefully designed gardens, and orderly vineyards where the team are devoted to the production of outstanding wines skillfully matched with the finest local produce.
Voyager Estate hosts regular in depth masterclasses focusing on iconic Margaret River wines including Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Take your place at a guided tasting session.
- Tour the estate to see Australia’s largest underground barrel cellar.
- Settle in for a full degustation menu, order the Mixed Flights to try different food and wine pairings, or book ahead for a high tea.
One of Australia’s finest gourmet establishments and private boutique hotel, Cape Lodge sits within 40 acres on its own vineyard in the heart of Margaret River wine country.
Reminiscent of a country estate, the lodge has 22 romantically secluded rooms, a quaint two-bedroom cottage and a magnificent five bedroom private luxury residence.
- Explore manicured parkland and lakes and the private vineyard producing Sauvignon Blanc and Shiraz exclusively for guests of the hotel.
- Roll your sleeves up at the Gourmet Retreat and hands-on cooking school.
- Hike one of the many trails of the Cape Naturaliste National Park, join the locals at the beach for a surfing lesson or canoe on the Margaret River.
Margaret River Cape to Cape Walk
The newest member of Great Walks of Australia, this luxury guided hike is operated by Walk into Luxury. Taking in 41km (25mi) of the highlights of this spectacular coastal track, walkers will experience beaches, coastal cliffs, caves, and Karri forests. Accommodation is in the stunning Injidup Spa Retreat overlooking the Indian Ocean where guests can rest and enjoy their private plunge pools.
- See the turquoise waters, red rocks and white sand of the Margaret River coast.
- Enjoy stunning wildflowers in Spring.
- Taste the region’s local food and wine every step of the way including degustation dining at Cape Lodge and Will’s Domain winery.
Suggested Trip Extensions
Western Australia offers a wealth of incredible travel destinations where awe-inspiring scenery and once in a lifetime experiences are complemented by uniquely Australian hospitality and world-class service.
El Questro Homestead, The Kimberley
El Questro Homestead is a private, understated, exclusive lodge with just nine suites, located in the remote and beautiful Kimberley region of Western Australia. There is one million acres of wilderness to explore with a diverse menu of exclusive wilderness experiences.
True North, The Kimberley
Long regarded as one of Australia’s outstanding adventure tourism experiences, a True North cruise is activity based and designed for the most discerning traveller who wishes to experience one of Australia’s most remote, awe-inspiring and otherwise difficult to access coastal regions.
Sal Salis, Ningaloo Reef
Where the outback meets the reef. Sal Salis is the best place in Australia to swim with whale sharks (April to July), and humpback whales (August to October). Sixteen wilderness tents and a team of passionate guides at Sal Salis offer a life-changing, exclusive luxury wilderness experience.