You could travel south today to explore the rainforest at Lamington National Park and the stunning beaches of the Gold Coast. Or, you could head north on a two-day tour of World Heritage-listed Fraser Island.
Here you’ll find long white beaches flanked by strikingly coloured sand cliffs, over 100 freshwater lakes ringed by sand, ancient rainforests, crystal-clear creeks and mangrove swamps.
There are 47 other species of mammals on Fraser Island, including dingos, swamp wallabies and sugar gliders. The wide variety of habitat also supports 70 species of reptile – including huge lace monitors. More than 354 species of birds have been sighted here too.
Dolphins, dugongs, turtles and giant rays are common, while from July to November you can easily spot migrating humpback whales.
Two island resorts offer a range of accommodation options, from budget to luxury. Stay the second night back on the mainland in Noosa.
- Hire a 4WD or join a 4WD tour of Fraser Island the largest sand island in the world (vehicle access permits are required for all vehicles entering the island).
- Try beach fishing from 75 Mile Beach.
- Spot Humpback whales off the beach between July and November.
- Join a tour of the islands top attractions.
- Take a guided or self-guided walk of the island.