Perth - Margaret River - Sydney
This two week itinerary takes in Australia’s East and West coasts, starting in Perth and finishing in Sydney.
At a glance:
- 3 nights Perth
- Drive to Margaret River (3.5 hours)
- 3 nights Margaret River
- Drive to Perth (3.5 hours)
- Fly to Sydney (4 hours)
- 5 nights Sydney
Day One - Four
Fly into Perth (PER) where you can enjoy its beautiful beaches, top attractions, great restaurants in the suburban villages, and the gorgeous Kings Park with its rich Aboriginal heritage.
Book a day trip out of the city to Rottnest Island. Just a 45 minute ferry ride from Fremantle this is where the locals go to swim at white sand beaches, snorkel in turquoise waters over shipwrecks and to do some fishing. Rotto, as it is known is a car- free zone which adds to its relaxed feel. Hiring a bike is the best way to get around but watch out for the quokkas, the cute marsupials which were the inspiration for the islands name.
- Kings Park with its 400 hectares of virgin bush land, manicured gardens and views of Perth.
- Cruising the Swan River.
- Driving the Sunset Coast and admiring the beautiful beaches such as City Beach, Cottesloe and Scarborough.
- A day trip to Rottnest Island.
- A day trip to the wineries of the Swan alley – just 30 minutes from the city centre.
Day Five - Eight
Take the time to explore the famous Margaret River wine region, approximately three hours south of Perth.
A small group tour or self-drive package will allow you to discover the character-filled vineyards. Stop in at these beautiful wineries and sample local premium wines direct from the cellar door.
Margaret River and Yallingup provide some of the best surf beaches in the world. There are also quiet and secluded bays – ideal for swimming and diving. For the outdoor enthusiasts there is abseiling, rock climbing, bushwalking and hiking available.
Between May and December the Margaret River region becomes a haven for whale-watching enthusiasts, with the best vantage points from Dunsborough to Augusta.
- Sample wines direct from the cellar door at the many vineyards * Follow one of the marked bush walking trails.
- Follow one of the marked bush walking trails.
- Dine on local produce at one of the many cafes, casual or fine dining restaurants.
- Take a behind the scenes tour of the winemaking process at one of the many wineries including Vasse Felix and Voyager estate.
- Surfers will love the big waves found off the Margaret River coast.
Days Nine - Fourteen
Fly from Perth to Sydney for some chic city living, to end your holiday in Australia.
Start in the cobblestone streets of The Rocks, the harbour-side precinct where modern Sydney began. Climb Sydney Harbour Bridge and take the ferry past the iconic Sydney Opera House to Taronga Zoo or one of the northern beaches.
A great way to explore the beautiful beaches along the New South Wales coast is by car. Both the north and south (as well as central coast) are easily accessible and offer so many amazing experiences.
Follow the coast north to Port Stephens home to over 150 resident wild dolphins and the largest continuously moving sand dune, Worimi Conservation lands (Stockton Bite Sand Dunes).
- Taking a ferry from Circular Quay and visiting Taronga Zoo, Watson’s Bay or Manly Beach.
- Enjoying a symphony, opera or guided tour of the Sydney Opera House.
- Climbing Sydney Harbour bridge with BridgeClimb.
- Explore the historic Rocks precinct.
- Join a dolphin watching cruise or 4WD tour of the Stockton Sand Dunes from Port Stephens.