Journey to a part of Australia where blue skies and breathtaking landscapes make driving a pleasure.
From the red desert sands of Uluru to tropical Kakadu National Park, and the bright blue waters of Darwin Harbour – the diversity of the Northern Territory is astounding. Travel through some of the country's most iconic touring routes, bringing together a world of ancient culture, pioneering history, rare wildlife and stunning sunsets.
Nature’s Way – Tropical Top End
Nature’s Way is a drive through a wetland wilderness, steeped in pioneering and cultural history. Beginning in Darwin, meander through the Adelaide and Mary River wetlands to World Heritage-listed Kakadu National Park and Litchfield National Park with its thundering waterfalls. With an abundance of natural and cultural experiences this is a dream drive for photographic, wildlife and birdwatching enthusiasts, all on a fully sealed road – suitable for a two-wheel-drive vehicle.
- Nearest Major City: Darwin
- Duration: 4-10 days
- Distance: 457 km (286 miles)
- Visit the Aboriginal community on the Tiwi Islands for traditional paintings, carvings and fabric designs.
- Explore Litchfield Park with its spectacular waterfalls, plunge pools and scenic walking trails.
- Experience nature’s infinity pool at Gunlom in Kakadu National Park, with magnificent views of Kakadu and neighbouring Arnhem Land.
- Soothe the mind, body and soul in the natural thermal pools of Mataranka.
Red Centre Way – Iconic Outback
Discover the Australian outback and the world-renowned landmarks of Uluru (Ayers Rock), Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) and Kings Canyon in Watarrka National Park on an adventure drive along the Red Centre Way. Starting in Alice Springs, travel through red desert sands, lush valleys, towering gorges and natural waterholes.
Accommodation options range from campgrounds to luxurious resorts on this epic journey through Australia’s magnificent red centre landscape.
- Nearest Major City: Alice Springs
- Duration: 4-5 days
- Distance: 1135 km (709 miles)
- Be amazed by the coloured sandstone cliffs at Rainbow Valley.
- Get off the beaten track on the Mereenie Loop Road.
- See the desert sunrise at Uluru on a camel safari.
- The Kings Canyon Rim Walk provides unforgettable vistas of ancient beauty.
- Get a birds-eye view of the red centre on a hot-air balloon or scenic helicopter flight or skydive Uluru.
Journey along the Explorer’s Way for an Outback adventure that passes through a modern nation to the heart of an ancient land. Connecting Australia’s north and south, this drive links many of the Northern Territory’s most recognisable wonders, including the World Heritage-listed Kakadu and Uluru-Kata Tjuta.
This trip of contrasts passes rich farmlands, arid cattle grazing lands and ancient mountain ranges in Central Australia and lush tropical wetlands.
- Nearest Major City: Darwin
- Duration: 7-11 days
- Distance: 1774 km (1109 miles)
- Experience the famous Mindil Beach Sunset Markets.
- Spot crocodiles, birds and other native wildlife on Kakadu’s Yellow Water Cruise.
- Cruise, walk or kayak the magnificent Katherine Gorge.
- View the Devils Marbles where huge red boulders balance precariously.
- Explore the waterholes and walking trails of the West MacDonnell Ranges.
- Immerse in the spiritual heart of Australia at Uluru- Kata Tjuta National Park.
Driving in Northern Territory
Ensure an NT road trip is an adventure of a lifetime by following the below safety tips:
- Make sure the vehicle is in good working order
- Familarise with the local road rules
- Check road conditions before leaving
- Be wary of driver fatigue and stay hydrated
- Always carry spare tyres, tools, water and extra fuel
- Stay with the vehicle if lost or broken down
- Give plenty of room if overtaking large trucks and give way to approaching road trains
- Be wary of stock and wildlife on the road at dawn, dusk and night-time.