Rail travel is a convenient, affordable and scenic way to explore Australia.
Travelling options range from budget to luxury and rail passes can reduce your costs if you plan to see large sections of the country.
Australia’s two most iconic rail journeys are The Indian Pacific and The Ghan, which cover the country east to west and north to south.
- Known as one of the great train journeys of the world, The Ghan dissects Australia north to south
- It covers a distance of almost 3,000 kilometres / 1,800 miles and travels between Adelaide and Darwin, via Alice Springs
- The journey takes four days and three nights via Alice Springs
- Passengers can choose to begin or end their journey in Alice Springs
- The timetable makes the most of the daylight hours to offer unsurpassed views of the passing landscape
- ‘Whistle stop’ tours in Alice Springs and Katherine provide an opportunity to leave the train and discover these regions
The Indian Pacific
- Travelling between the Indian and Pacific oceans for over 40 years, this truly is one of the world's great train journeys
- The Indian Pacific travels between Sydney on the east coast and Perth on the west, covering 4,350 kilometres / 2,702 miles
- The journey takes three days and three nights
- Stops include the goldfields town of Kalgoorlie, the Nullarbor Plain township of Cook, Adelaide, Broken Hill, and then a scenic trip through the Blue Mountains before arriving in Sydney
- The Overland offers a relaxing way to enjoy the trip between the two cities of Melbourne and Adelaide
- The Overland is a daylight service to enable guests to view the beautiful country scenery en-route, with a choice of either Red Premium Service or Red Service
- The journey takes 10.5 hours
- Both seat types feature comfortable reclining seats with armrests and tray tables
Rail Explorer Pass
The Rail Explorer Pass gives unlimited travel aboard The Ghan, Indian Pacific and Overland in red class (economy) in any direction for a two or three month period.
Backpacker/Student fares in red class are available on The Ghan, Indian Pacific and Overland trains. A valid student or backpacker association ID is required when travelling. Refer to the useful links below for more information.
Discovery Pass: Unlimited Travel
A Discovery Pass gives you unlimited economy travel to more than 365 Regional destinations across NSW, Victoria, Queensland and the ACT on the regional train and coach network for 14 days or one, three or six months.