Experience one good thing after another when you visit Canberra, Australia’s capital, a mere 40 minutes flying time from Sydney.
Whether it’s indulging in world-class food and wine, adventuring in the breathtaking outdoors or immersing themselves in the stories of Australia at iconic attractions, everything cruise guests are after is just moments away in the capital.
ACT visitors can uncover Australia’s most important national treasures and learn the secrets of the Australian way of life at world-class galleries and museums.
Adventurous travellers can soar above the capital in a hot air balloon or venture into nearby national parks to get up close and personal with native Australian wildlife.
Indulging in some retail therapy is essential. Shoppers can pick up unique Australian made souvenirs at a range of flourishing weekend markets, shopping malls and boutiques.
Foodies can refuel at an eclectic mix of cafes and restaurants in Canberra’s new precincts of Braddon, New Acton and the Kingston Foreshore. Wine lovers can spend the day sampling the region’s award-winning cool climate wines at more than 30 cellar doors.
Canberra’s jam-packed calendar of events also offers an eclectic mix of activities suitable for the whole family.
Ask the expert – why visit Canberra?
'It’s astonishing how much eating and sightseeing you can fit into just a couple of days!’ Amanda McInerney, Canberra visitor
- Canberra is 40 minute flight from Sydney or a three hour drive.
- Greyhound and Murrays coaches leave from Sydney Central Station up to 16 times a day.
- Most of the city’s major attractions offer free entry making it a value for money destination.
- Canberra is a perfect self drive destination with no traffic congestions, no road tolls, cheap and ample parking.
- Canberra has four beautiful distinct seasons, a mostly dry climate with warm to hot summers and cool winters.
- Time in Canberra is GMT + 10.
Must See Destinations
Parliament House of Australia
See Australia’s politicians in action or take a free guided tour for a fascinating insight into Australia’s Parliament. Take a lift up to the roof for panoramic views of Canberra and stand underneath the 81-metre flagpole with an Australian flag bigger than a double-decker bus.
Australian War Memorial
Visit one of the world’s great war museums for a moving and unforgettable experience. Discover the diverse experiences of war and reflect on their enduring impact. See some of the world’s most significant military relics, and stay for the moving Last Post closing ceremony.
National Museum of Australia
Discover the place where Australian stories live. Find a preserved Tasmanian tiger and moving memento coins engraved by convicts transported to Australia from England. Marvel at the impressive Indigenous collection in the Gallery of First Australians.
Must Do Experiences
- Float directly over Australia’s Parliament House on a scenic hot air balloon flight.
- Visit Canberra’s world-class attractions including the National Gallery of Australia which houses the largest collection of Indigenous artworks in the world.
- Wine and dine at the capital’s top-rated restaurants for incredible culinary experiences.
- Visit Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve and spot native Australian wildlife.
- Embark on a premium luxury animal encounter at Jamala Wildlife Lodge, at the National Zoo & Aquarium.