Fly to Adelaide, the friendly capital city of South Australia. Adelaide is known as the ‘20 minute city ‘– you can hold a koala, swim with dolphins and taste delicious wines – all within 20 minutes of the city centre.
There are many reasons for staying on in Adelaide for several days, but nature lovers will be looking forward to a visit to Kangaroo Island, known as ‘Australia’s Galapagos’ due to the abundance of native wildlife. Kangaroos, echidnas, platypus, koalas and a huge number of native birdlife can be found here living in the wild.
Getting here is easy – a scenic 30 minute flight from Adelaide to Kingscote or a two hour drive to Cape Jervis then a 45 minute ferry to Penneshaw.
There are several accommodation options on the island ranging from backpacker hostels and three/four star hotels to wilderness retreats and ultraluxurious lodges.
- Spot some of Kangaroo Island’s 30,000 strong population of koalas nestled in the islands eucalyptus trees
- Get acquainted the seals on the beach at Seal Bay
- Admire the spectacular formations of the Remarkable Rocks
- Taste magnificent whites and reds from the burgeoning Kangaroo Island wine industry
- Be pampered in the spa at one of Australia’s true luxury lodges