New South Wales is Australia’s number one destination for youth travellers.
The iconic city of Sydney is a well-known and highly-desired destination. NSW is a state full of contrasts, from golden beaches, lush rainforests and cosmopolitan cityscapes to rustic country towns, a rugged outback, snowcapped mountains and World Heritage wilderness areas which appeal to Backpackers. In addition, a vibrant contemporary Aboriginal culture can be found in both the city and the country. As far as festivals and major events go, there is always something on in Sydney and regional NSW.
A trip through NSW provides the youth traveller with authentic experiences and life-changing adventures.
NSW is a destination full of possibilities with appeal to every type of traveller. Experience adrenaline-pumping adventures such as skydiving and canyoning, or unique wildlife encounters like swimming with wild seals and dolphins. There’s so much on offer in Sydney and NSW.
Enjoy Sydney’s beautiful harbour and cosmopolitan lifestyle. Within a short drive, go quad biking on epic sand dunes in Port Stephens. Take the spectacular White Sands Walk in Jervis Bay and swim at pristine beaches. Discover World Heritage national parks such as the Blue Mountains or the world’s latest Dark Sky Park in the Warrumbungles. Dance to reggae music in the eclectic town of Byron Bay. Explore wide open spaces and experience the vast skies on a journey to the outback.
- Numerous watersports on offer. Learn to surf at Sydney’s iconic beaches or kayak with dolphins at Byron Bay.
- Take a road trip to one of the many music festivals such as the Bluesfest in Byron Bay, Vanfest in Forbes, the Deni Ute Muster in Deniliquin or Lost Paradise in Glenworth Valley.
- Enjoy boundless soft adventure activities through pristine wilderness such as horse riding and mountain biking in the Snowy Mountains.
- Bushwalk along the beautiful wilderness trails where Charles Darwin rethought his theory of evolution in the Blue Mountains.
NSW offers a myriad of accommodation options that are perfect for youth travellers from lively backpacker hostels and student apartments to affordable beachside hotels and outback farm stays. Meet like-minded fellow travellers on an amazing NSW adventure.
Sydney is the perfect base to start an Australian journey. Stay in one of the city’s bustling backpacker hostels or enjoy inexpensive beachside accommodation and the relaxed surf vibes of Bondi or Manly. Head to the outback and experience life on a working cattle station, then continue the adventures up and down the coast enjoying NSW’s endless supply of pristine beaches and friendly local towns.
- Stay in the historic Rocks and enjoy sweeping views of Sydney Harbourfrom the renowned Sydney Harbour YHA hostel.
- Experience authentic outback life on a working cattle station on the Mundee Mundee Plain at Eldee Station.
- Feel the heartbeat of Sydney Central and the hub of backpacker activity while staying in the fresh and modern hostel; Wake Up! Enjoy its close proximity to Chinatown and Darling Harbour’s energetic nightlife.
- Stay right by the beach at Hoey Moey and discover endless activities in Coffs Harbour.
Each of Sydney’s neighbourhoods has their own personality and style with plenty of unique local experiences. Reserve Sunday morning for brunch at a beachside cafe, head to the inner west for local cheap eats and grab a bargain at a weekend market. Go on one of Sydney’s famous harbour foreshore walks and discover hidden beaches that only locals know about.
Engage with Aboriginal people and learn about the world’s oldest living culture from the custodians themselves, when participating in the many Aboriginal cultural experiences available in Sydney and regional NSW.
Go on a country road trip to discover NSW’s unique regional events, such as horseracing, polo and fun festivals.
- Join the locals in their blue suede shoes at the Parkes Elvis Festival.
- Learn the skills needed to work on an Australian farm at Leconfield Jackaroo and Jillaroo School in Tamworth.
- Discover up-and-coming designers and artists at Bondi, Paddington or Glebe markets on Saturday mornings.
- Watch sunrise on Bondi Beach and enjoy stunning views while doing the Bondi to Coogee Coastal Walk.
- Join a multi-day tour of the South Coast and immerse in Aboriginal culture with Ngaran Ngaran Culture Awareness.
Sydney has a thriving bar and club scene, with everything from absolute waterfront icons to ‘secret’ laneway bars. Enjoy sundowners in Manly, head to the city centre, Darlinghurst or the inner west to discover late-night watering holes, vibrant clubs and bars offering music into the small hours. Whether looking to dance the night away or want to unwind with cocktails, Sydney’s nightlife has something for everyone.
Regional NSW also has the live music scene covered. Newcastle has thriving punk rock, indie and jazz scenes while country music fans should head to Tamworth, home to the world-famous Tamworth Country Music Festival. And no true music fan should miss the Blues & Roots Music Festival at Byron Bay.
- Learn about the city’s larrikin gangs and convicts on a pub tour of the historic Rocks with Dave’s Pub Walks.
- Get into Sydney’s festival calendar and enjoy 23 days of events at Sydney Festival or go wild at the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras –frequented by all
- Visit an eclectic outback pub such as The Palace Hotel in Broken Hill, known for its quirky indoor murals.
- Dance all night at Sydney’s vibrant nightclubs, including Oxford Art Factory, The Soda Factory or Chinese Laundry.