Australia’s capital city, Canberra, is the perfect self-drive holiday destination.
Whether it’s world-class wining and dining, iconic national attractions or breathtaking adventures in the great outdoors, Canberra has everything that’s needed and it’s all just moments away.
Canberra is perfectly positioned within an easy and scenic drive of pristine beaches, beautiful snow-capped mountains, quaint countryside and award-winning food and wine regions. Driving is the ideal way to explore this spectacular part of the world.
Four Day Canberra Highlights
Nestled conveniently between Sydney and Melbourne, Australia’s vibrant, multicultural capital of Canberra is home to iconic national attractions, acclaimed restaurants and natural beauty.
Uncover some of Australia’s most important national treasures at a host of national attractions that bring Australian culture, history and heritage to life. Explore restaurants and markets boasting the freshest regional produce and hand-crafted souvenirs. Dig a little deeper to unearth Canberra’s gems and be rewarded with a city full of surprises.
- Major City: Canberra
- Duration: 4 days
- Distance: 50 km (31 miles)
- Take off at dawn in a hot air balloon for a magical and unforgettable way to experience the city.
- Sample fresh regional produce and find unique Australian souvenirs at the Old Bus Depot Markets.
- Visit the world’s largest collection of Indigenous Australian artwork at the National Gallery of Australia.
- Get back to nature at Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve and spot kangaroos, koalas, emus and the elusive platypus in natural surrounds.
- Take part in a real paddock to plate experience at Pialligo Estate and The Truffle Farm.
Canberra and Surrounds
On this seven-day itinerary, experience the delights of Australia’s capital city before venturing further to discover its diverse and scenic surrounds. From the rural charms of the countryside, to the stunning Australian Alps and picture-perfect beaches of the coast, get ready to explore this remarkable region.
- Nearest Major City and surrounding regions: Canberra, South Coast, Snowy Mountains
- Duration: 6-7 days
- Distance: 800 km (500 miles)
- Begin the journey in Canberra and discover iconic national attractions, renowned food and wine and breathtaking natural beauty.
- Spend a day visiting cool-climate vineyards in the boutique Canberra District Wine Region.
- Conquer Australia’s highest peak, Mount Kosciuszko, in the Snowy Mountains.
- Enjoy the delights of whale watching, kayaking, swimming, surfing or simply lazing on a beautiful beach on the spectacular South Coast.
Driving in Australian Capital Territory
All major car rental operators have offices at Canberra Airport and city locations. There are no road tolls within Canberra. Easy access, ample and cheap parking at all national attractions and minimal traffic congestion make Canberra an easy and perfect self-drive destination.