Connect to rich Aboriginal traditions, awe-inspiring landscapes and pioneer history in Alice Springs, which sits just south of Australia's geographic centre. Learn about the area's first inhabitants – the Western Arrernte Aboriginal people – in the Araluen Cultural Precinct and in the vibrant art lining Todd Mall. Find out how plucky pioneers shaped the modern town in the Telegraph Station Historical Reserve, Royal Flying Doctor Service and School of the Air. Experience an outback adventure on a camel trek or hot air balloon ride. On your final day, 4WD through the prehistoric terrain of Finke Gorge National Park, visit a huge comet crater and see where acclaimed Aboriginal painter Albert Namatjira grew up.
At a glance:
- Two nights Alice Springs
- Araluen Cultural Precinct
- Hot air balloon over McDonnell Ranges
- Alice Springs Desert Park
- Hermannsburg Historic Precinct, birthplace of famous Aboriginal artist, Albert Namatjira
- Finke Gorge National Park